Truck Driving Schools in Hillsboro, Oregon
If you’re looking for truck driving schools in Hillsboro, you’ve come to the right place! There are several trucking schools in Hillsboro and the surrounding area that will give you the truck driver training you need to obtain your commercial driver’s license (CDL) and become a professional truck driver. Whether you’re interested in becoming a dry van hauler, a flatbed truck driver, a refrigerated freight driver, tanker driver, or becoming an owner-operator that owns their own business, truck driving schools in Hillsboro can help make it happen in a matter of a few short weeks.
What You Will Learn at the Truck Driving Schools in Hillsboro
When it comes to truck driver training, most truck driving schools generally teach the same thing. The trucking schools in Hillsboro are no exception. As a student, you can expect to learn about the following in the classroom:
- Map reading
- Trip planning
- Log book protocol
- Essential driving skills
- Proper pre-trip and post-trip inspections
- Basic mechanical systems and individual truck components
- Federal regulations that pertain to commercial truck driving
- State and local laws that pertain to commercial truck driving
On the training lot, where you actually learn how to operate a full-sized rig, you can generally expect to learn and practice the following:
- Climbing into and out of the tractor
- Clutching, accelerating, braking, and shifting gears
- Coupling the tractor to the trailer
- Uncoupling the tractor to the trailer
- Inspecting both the tractor and the trailer
- Turning the tractor-trailer
- Backing up the tractor trailer
- Docking the tractor trailer
- Serpentine driving exercises
Keep in mind that while a few schools use computerized simulators to train their students how to operate a tractor-trailer, most truck driving schools use real trucks and trailers.
Finally, you’ll observe the instructor as he shows you how to operate a tractor-trailer on the road. Once the instructor feels you’re ready, he’ll put you behind the steering wheel and observe you as you do most or all of the following:
- Drive the tractor-trailer without a load
- Drive the tractor-trailer fully loaded
- Drive the tractor-trailer on rural roads
- Drive the tractor-trailer on city streets
- Drive the tractor-trailer on highways
- Drive the tractor-trailer in light traffic
- Drive the tractor-trailer in moderate to heavy traffic
- Drive the tractor-trailer on inclines and downgrades
- Drive the tractor-trailer at night
After you’ve accumulated enough hours behind-the-wheel, you’ll most likely spend the rest of your time preparing for the CDL Road/Skills Test.
Truck Driving Schools in Hillsboro and the Financing Options Available
The trucking schools in Hillsboro may provide financing options to help you pay for the cost of tuition. Financing options may include private loans, federal loans, and in some cases, government grants. Because the cost of most truck driver training programs are usually much lower than other skilled trades programs, you shouldn’t have any problem making your dream of becoming a professional truck driver a reality.
Get Your CDL in 4 Weeks and Make $45,000 or More Your First Year!
Are you ready to take the next step and begin your career as a well-paid professional truck driver? We've partnered with some of the best truck driving schools in the nation and have helped thousands of people just like you find a high quality truck driving school. We'll make it easy for you to find the right school and start training immediately.
The schools in our network hold one or more of the following quality standards:
- State Licensure
- PTDI Certification
- Nationally Recognized Accreditation
- Job Placement Assistance for Those Who Qualify
Click the orange "Find Your School!" button below and fill out the quick 1-minute form to request information. Hurry! Classes are filling up fast!
List of Truck Driving Schools in Hillsboro
Elite Truck School
560 SE 4th Avenue
Hillsboro, OR 97123