Delaware CDL Requirements

Delaware CDL Classes

       You must be at least 18 years old to operate a commercial motor vehicle within the state of Delaware (intrastate) and at least 21 years of age to drive a commercial motor vehicle across Delaware state lines (interstate). You need a Delaware CDL in order to operate either commercial or non-commercial motor vehicles that fall into the following categories:

CDL Class A

      Any combination of vehicles with a Gross Vehicle Weight Rating of 26,001 pounds or more, provided that the gross vehicle weight rating of the towed vehicle is in excess of 10,000 pounds.  

CDL Class B

      Any single vehicle with a Gross Vehicle Weight Rating of 26,001 or more pounds, as well as any vehicle towing another vehicle that does not exceed a weight of 10,000 pounds. 

CDL Class C

      Any vehicle or combination of vehicles that does not meet the criteria of either Class A or Class B, but is designed to transport 16 or more passengers (including the driver), or is used in transporting materials classified as hazardous in the Hazardous Materials Transportation Act. Each applicant must also have a passenger or hazardous materials endorsement in order to obtain a Class C commercial driver’s license. 

Non-CDL Class A

      Under a CDL waiver, a Non-CDL Class A license is required to operate farm vehicles, firefighting vehicles, and other authorized emergency vehicles that fall into the same class as commercial motor vehicles.

Non-CDL Class B

      Under a CDL waiver, a Non-CDL Class B license is required to operate farm vehicles, firefighting vehicles, and other authorized emergency vehicles that fall into the same class as commercial motor vehicles.

Waivers for CDL Provisions

      Under this waiver, any driver who operates a farm, firefighting, or emergency vehicle must first obtain a Non-commercial driver’s license. In order to obtain a non-CDL license, the applicant must first pass a general knowledge test and a road test using the class of vehicle they plan to drive with the license. They do not however have to take the skills and pre-trip tests.

      You do not need a commercial or non-commercial driver’s license to operate personal recreation vehicles, commercial vehicles for military use, and emergency vehicles used in the preservation of life or property. The following descriptions are given for the types of vehicles that are waived:

      A. Farm Vehicles that are: 

  1. Controlled and operated by a farmer.
  2. Used for transporting agricultural products, farm machinery, or farm supplies to and from a farm.
  3. Not used in the operations of a common or contract motor carrier.
  4. Used within 150 miles of the operator’s farm.
  5. Not used for hire.

      B. Firefighting equipment that is:

  1. Used by any fire company in the state of Delaware for the preservation of life and/or property or the carrying out of emergency governmental operations.
  2. Being operated for authorized uses such as parades, special events, deliveries, or for servicing or repair. 

      C. Military equipment owned by the Department of Defense when it is operated by military personnel on active duty or by members of the reserves or National Guard on active duty.

      D. Recreational vehicles or trailers used as temporary living quarters and used for recreational purposes only.

      E. Emergency Mobile Communication Units operated in conjunction with a County Emergency Communication Center, the State Police, or any Municipality.

      F. Any emergency vehicles not yet mentioned that are equipped with audible and visible signals, used in the preservation of life and property, or used in the carrying out of emergency governmental operations, and not subject to normal traffic laws.    

Applying for a Delaware CDL Learner’s Permit and Commercial Driver’s License

      In order to qualify for a Delaware commercial driver’s license or a Delaware commercial learner’s permit you must:

  • Be at least 18 years of age for intrastate driving (within the state of Delaware only).
  • Be at least 21 years of age for interstate driving (outside the state of Delaware).
  • Pass a medical examination.
  • Provide a social security card.
  • Provide acceptable forms of identification.
  • Provide acceptable proof of authorized U.S. presence.
  • Successfully complete all applicable knowledge and road/skills testing.
  • Pay any and all applicable fees.

      The Delaware CDL learner’s permit is valid for six months from the date it is issued and may be extended for an additional six months by applying for an extension and paying a $5 fee. The 5 year CDL costs $30 and the 8 year CDL costs $48. The 5 year Non-CDL Class A/B license costs $25 and the 8 year Non-CDL Class A/B license costs $40.

The CDL Knowledge Test and CDL Skills Test

      The CDL knowledge test can be completed at any Delaware DMV office and is by walk-in only. The applicant must at least complete the General Knowledge test. There may be additional tests depending on the class of license you are applying for or if you are applying for additional endorsements.

      You must first make an appointment before you can take the CDL Skills test. You must bring and test in the class of vehicle you plan on driving when you obtain your CDL. You will also need to bring along the vehicle’s valid insurance and registration card at the time of testing. The CDL license of the driver that drove you to the test site, as well as your own CDL learner’s permit will be examined by the instructor. You must pass each part of the skills test before moving on to the next part. 

      Over 60% of first time CDL applicants fail the written test! Be sure to download the Complete CDL Practice Test Study Package, as it contains practice tests containing questions and answers specifically designed to help you pass the actual CDL written tests administered by the DMV. You may also want to download the Complete CDL Cheat Sheet Study Package as it includes a collection of study guides with key information designed to help you rapidly learn all the sections of the CDL manual you must know in order to pass the CDL written exams.

Our Free CDL Practice Tests will help prepare you for the actual CDL knowledge tests administered by the DMV.

      Click here to find the Delaware DMV office nearest you.

Medical Report for Commercial Driver’s License

      In order to apply for a Delaware commercial driver’s license, you must first have a Medical Examination Report and Medical Examiner’s Certificate completed and signed by one of the following:

  • Licensed U.S. doctor of medicine (M.D.)
  • Doctor of Osteopathy (D.O.)
  • Licensed Physician Assistant (P.A.)
  • Advanced Practice Nurse (A.P.N.)
  • Doctor of Chiropractics (D.C.)

      The medical examiner must be certified by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration. You can locate a FMCSA certified medical examiner using the National Registry of Certified Medical Examiners. You must bring your own certificate documents with you to your examination. 

      If required, you can mail your Self-Certification Affidavit and Medical Examiner’s Certificate to:

              Delaware Division of Motor Vehicle
              Attn: CDL Department
              P.O. Box 698
              Dover, DE 19901

      You can also fax your Self-Certification Affidavit and Medical Examiner’s Certificate to:

              Fax: (302) 739-2602 (Please be sure to write “Attn: CDL Department” on the fax cover sheet)

      Please make sure your information is legible and be sure to double check and, if needed, correct any errors before submitting your documents. All CDL applicants are advised to keep copies of these documents for their own records. Failure to comply with state and federal self-certification regulations will result in a suspension, downgrade, or cancellation of your commercial driving privileges.

Military Drivers

      In the state of Delaware, if you are currently serving in the military or have been honorably discharged within the last 90 days, and you have driven military vehicles that would require a CDL to operate as a civilian with a 2 year safe driving record, then you may qualify for the waiver of the CDL Skills Test and may be exempt from taking the commercial driver skills test. You will still be required to take the written tests. Certain restrictions apply. Download, print, and complete the Application for Military Skills Test Waiver to start the process. 

Delaware CDL Endorsements

      The following CDL endorsements are available in the state of Delaware:

  • H (Hazardous Materials): Required for any vehicle to be placarded for the transportation of hazardous materials.
  • N (Tank): Required for any tank vehicle designed to transport 119 gallons or more.
  • X (Combination): Required to operate a tank vehicle transporting hazardous materials.
  • T (Double/Triple Trailer): Required for any vehicle towing two or more trailers.
  • P (Passenger): Required for any vehicle designed to transport 16 or more passengers (including the driver).
  • S (School Bus): Required for commercial driver’s license Class A,B, or C when operating a school bus with passengers.

Important Delaware Commercial Driver’s License Resources

Complete CDL Practice Test Study Package
Complete CDL Cheat Sheet Study Package

School Bus Driver/Aide Applicant Affidavit
Application for Military Skills Test Waiver
Self-Certification Affidavit
Medical Examination Report
Medical Examiner’s Certificate
National Registry of Certified Medical Examiners


      Check out our list of truck driving schools in Delaware that will provide you with the necessary skills to obtain your commercial driver’s license and start your career in the exciting field of commercial truck driving! You may also want to check out our nationwide list of truck driving schools.  

If you found this article helpful, feel free to share it on Google Plus and Facebook using the buttons below.



Map of Delaware CDL Testing Locations 



Some CDL testing locations require you to set up an appointment. CDL testing hours may vary. Please call the testing location for more information. 

Please Note: Some of the documents linked on this page are in the Adobe Portable Document Format, also known as “PDF.” Adobe Acrobat Reader is required to view, fill out and print forms. If you have problems with Adobe Acrobat Reader, see the Adobe Troubleshooting page for possible solutions.

© 2020 Truck Driving Schools Info. All rights reserved. | Home | About | ContactTerms | Privacy